Action Item - 36.
Title: Contract with Philadelphia Youth Network, Inc. - Summer Internship Program ($400,000)
Board of Education Meeting Date: 5/28/2020
|Action under consideration|
| ||The Administration recommends that the Board of Education authorize The School District of Philadelphia, through the Superintendent or his designee, to execute and perform a contract, subject to funding, as follows: |
Philadelphia Youth Network, Inc.
| ||Purpose: |
Administrative Services for Summer Internship Program
| ||Start date: 7/1/2020|
| ||End date: 10/30/2020|
| ||Compensation not to exceed: $400,000 |
| ||Location: |
All High Schools
The District’s 2020 Summer Internship Program endeavors to provide students with meaningful work-based learning and academic enrichment experiences that promote self-efficacy, connects youth to caring adults, and offers the opportunity to build transferable skills required to secure and sustain employment. The Philadelphia Youth Network (PYN) will support the successful implementation and execution of the payment of all additional student wages, payroll management, and support for the program. PYN, as a wage intermediary organization for the District, will utilize the vast majority of the funds in this contract to directly pay student wages and stipends. PYN will charge only a small percentage (7% of the total contract amount) for administrative costs, such as payroll management, check generation, postage, and data collection. The remaining funds (93% of the total contract amount) will pass through PYN and go directly to the students in the form of wages or stipends for participating in internships or academic enrichment programs. Furthermore, PYN is the only organization in the city with the capacity, expertise, and infrastructure to administer a citywide student employment program. The District's investment in funding approximately 260 CTE summer internship slots directly supports the City's goal of increasing the total amount of slots available to Philadelphia's youth.
| ||Anchor Goal(s) Supported: Anchor Goal 1 - 100% of students will graduate ready for college or career |
| ||Related resolution(s)/approval(s): |
April 25, 2019; No. 43
May 17, 2018; B-21
May 19, 2017; B-9
June 16, 2016; B-15
| ||Funding Source(s): |
FY20-21: Operating/Emp. Cert. Office
| ||Office Originating Request: Academic Support|